Saturday, August 22, 2020

Watching butterflies flutterby

We have what I consider to be a fair amount of common milkweed growing in our unkempt fields. I keep expecting to see more monarch butterfly caterpillars than we do. For that matter, I keep hoping, more than expecting, to see more adult monarch butterflies than we do. Are we missing some secret ingredient? We do seem to be near the Northern limits of the monarch's range?


monarch adult sighted


There are even fewer egg sightings listed so far this year. The dots on that map are more sparse than the adult sightings above. I wonder if a limiting factor might be a lack of nectar flowers. I've yet to see a butterfly at the hummingbird feeder and the places where I see nectar flowers such as Joe Pye weeds don't seem to have many milkweed plants.


monarch butterflies on Northen Plains blazing star
monarch butterflies on Northern Plains Blazing Star
Photo by J. Harrington


Perhaps a Winter project might be to make a butterfly feeder for next Summer, although I'd rather plant some Northern Blazing Star and Joe Pye weed instead, but that would be a Spring project, wouldn't it? 


The Caterpillar


Robert Graves - 1895-1985


Under this loop of honeysuckle,
A creeping, coloured caterpillar,
I gnaw the fresh green hawthorn spray,
I nibble it leaf by leaf away.

Down beneath grow dandelions,
Daisies, old-man's-looking-glasses;
Rooks flap croaking across the lane.
I eat and swallow and eat again.

Here come raindrops helter-skelter;
I munch and nibble unregarding:
Hawthorn leaves are juicy and firm.
I'll mind my business: I'm a good worm.

When I'm old, tired, melancholy,
I'll build a leaf-green mausoleum
Close by, here on this lovely spray,
And die and dream the ages away.

Some say worms win resurrection,
With white wings beating flitter-flutter,
But wings or a sound sleep, why should I care?
Either way I'll miss my share.

Under this loop of honeysuckle,
A hungry, hairy caterpillar,
I crawl on my high and swinging seat,
And eat, eat, eat—as one ought to eat.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment