Sunday, September 13, 2020

Can a crisis be long term?

I remember reading somewhere or other, a while back, something to the effect that humans evolved to better deal with a near-term, immediate, crisis, such as escaping from a saber-tooth tiger, rather than something like the onset of a long-lasting ice age. Based on my own life experiences, that feels true. I've generally found it easier to address a "crisis" and move on when it didn't involve adapting through changing how I live my life. Since I've had to adapt to minimize the risks of contracting COVID-19, and it looks like the changes required won't be short-term, I've started to wonder if my approach to responding to climate breakdown and living (more) sustainably has been equally misguided by focusing on short-term responses.

In part, I suspect I've been inappropriately conditioned by things like the 1973 oil embargo and the accompanying gas lines. We would all have been better served had we responded differently to that "crisis" but, instead,

By the early 1980s, however, the influence of OPEC on world oil prices began to decline; Western nations were successfully exploiting alternate sources of energy such as coal and nuclear power, and large, new oil fields had been tapped in the United States and other non-OPEC oil-producing nations.

So, I'm thinking more and more about systems change including life-style changes. In this I'm heavily influenced by the writings of Gary Snyder, Jim Harrison, Ted Kooser and Wendell Berry. A recent discovery of the treasure trove of stories on the patagonia web site is helping motivate me and making me think broader and more long term than I have historically. Below the picture are links to some of those stories, two of which are specifically relevant to Minnesota and each of which is relevant to all of us.


Boundary Waters periphery
Boundary Waters periphery
Photo by J. Harrington




For the Children


by Gary Snyder


The rising hills, the slopes,
of statistics
lie before us,
the steep climb
of everything, going up,
up, as we all
go down.

In the next century
or the one beyond that,
they say,
are valleys, pastures,
we can meet there in peace
if we make it.

To climb these coming crests
one word to you, to
you and your children:

stay together
learn the flowers
go light



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment