Wednesday, December 16, 2020

On the sweetness of Christmas

This morning we headed South to Marine on St. Croix to lay our hands on some now "world famous" St. Croix Chocolate Co. chocolates. Today's the last day to get any before the holiday season is gone. There was a line already beginning when the Better Half climbed out of the Jeep to become second in line. We're delighted for Robyn and Deidre's "sold out" success and will craft a quick note to ourselves about what can happen when a local artisan get's discovered. We think it feels similar to when a neighborhood gets gentrified.

On the way to Marine, we drove past a harvested corn field being gleaned by two large flocks of wild turkeys with close to a dozen birds in each flock. Not only was that a treat for this old turkey hunter to see, it reminded us of the time, several years ago, when a local flock of turkeys visited the front yard in early December.


a flock of "Christmas" turkeys
a flock of "Christmas" turkeys
Photo by J. Harrington

Now that we're back home, the Better Half is again baking her infamously wonderful orange cookies. It appears we may be getting surreptitious visits from elves who are absconding bit by bit (bite by bite?) with the products of prior sessions of baking Christmas cookies. We can't think of how else they might be disappearing as quickly as they have. 😇 At least with this latest batch we should be able to save enough to leave for Santa to go with  his glass of milk on Christmas eve.

As we pulled into the drive we noticed a large package on the stoop. Upon opening it, we discovered smaller boxes of frozen lobster pies sent from Maine by our sister in Massachusetts. We're truly looking forward to tasting a "flavor from home" this Winter and are very grateful to have a sister who is considerate and knowing enough to brighten our holidays considerably.


Johnnie's Christmas


 - 1849-1929


Papa and mama, and baby and Dot,
Willie and me—the whole of the lot
Of us all went over in Bimberlie’s sleigh,
To grandmama’s house on Christmas day.

Covered with robes on the soft cushioned seat,
With heads well wrapped up and hot bricks to our feet,
And two prancing horses, tho’ ten miles away,
The ride was quite short, on that bright Christmas day.

When all were tucked in and the driver said “Go!”
The horses just flew o’er the white, shining snow;
The town it slipped by us and meadow and tree,
And farm house till grandmama’s house we did see.

Grandmama was watching for us, there’s no doubt;
She soon come to meet us, and helped us all out;
And kissin’ and huggin’ said how we boys growed,
And big as our papa we’d soon be, she knowed.

And Dot she called handsome and said: “Ah! I guess
Grandmama’s woman has got a new dress.”
And said that the baby was pretty and smart;
“Dod b’ess it and love its own sweet ’ittle heart.”

And O, the red apples, and pop-corn on strings;
And balls of it, too, and nuts, candy and things;
And O, such a dinner and such pumpkin pie;
I eat and I eat till I thought I would die.

And grandmama urgin’, “Now, Johnnie, my man,
I wants you to eat; just eat all you can.”
When I eat all I could then I eat a lots more,
And I didn’t feel good as I had felt before.

At last it came time for us all to go back,
And into the sleigh again, all of us pack;
With grandmama kissin’ and sayin’ good byes,
With smiles on her lips, but the tears in her eyes.

We seemed much more crowded, and Bimberlie’s sleigh
Kept jerkin’ and hurtin’ me most all the way;
The robes were so stuffy I couldn’t get breath,
And Dot and the baby most squeezed me to death.

All night I kept tumblin’ and tossin’, ma said,
And frowed all the cover half off of the bed;
I dreamed of roast turkey and pop-corn and pie,
And fruit cake and candy, piled up to the sky! 

And I dreamed I was sick and just lookin’ at it,
A wantin’ and yet I could not eat a bit;
And grandmama urgin’, “Now, Johnnie, my man,
I want you to eat, just eat all you can.”



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment