Wednesday, March 3, 2021

If not for trees ...

Today is, among other things, World Wildlife Day. This year's theme is "Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet." It's unclear which of the wooded areas near us qualify as forest under any of the many definitions of that term. The patchiness of the stands of trees, interspersed with fields, wetlands and water complicates things. Fortunately, for the Carlos Avery Wildlife management Area near us, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has mapped out the land cover. As far as we're concerned, wooded areas that aren't forests are woodlands since we are more of a water and wetlands person than a forest or mountain type but we readily acknowledge that trees, both singly and in the aggregate, are beautiful, functional, and beneficial. If it weren't for trees, where would we put all the leaves for  photosynthesis, or store lots of carbon? And turkeys would probably take to roosting on our decks instead of in trees.


wild turkey hen perched on deck railing
wild turkey hen perched on deck railing
Photo by J. Harrington


You might find it both enjoyable and edifying to read John Fowles The Tree.

We shall never understand nature (or ourselves) until we dissociate the wild from the notion of usability – however innocent and harmless the use. For it is the general uselessness of so much of nature that lies at the root of our ancient hostility and indifference to it.

It's time for us to reread our copy of Fowles' essay to see if we can find reconciliation between forests as entities "sustaining people and planet," and how to "dissociate the wild from the notion of usability." If we're successful, perhaps it will be an indication we have attained satori.


Native Trees



Neither my father nor my mother knew
the names of the trees
where I was born
what is that
I asked and my
father and mother did not
hear they did not look where I pointed
surfaces of furniture held
the attention of their fingers
and across the room they could watch
walls they had forgotten
where there were no questions
no voices and no shade

Were there trees
where they were children
where I had not been
I asked
were there trees in those places
where my father and my mother were born
and in that time did
my father and my mother see them
and when they said yes it meant
they did not remember
What were they I asked what were they
but both my father and my mother
said they never knew


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment