Sunday, June 6, 2021

Some like it hot!

I think the vetch  growing in our fields is hairy vetch (Vicia villosa). It's coming into bloom, as are more and more of the large beardtongue. All in all, though, I doubt we'll see a lot of wildflowers among the grasses this year. It's not like some past years when the sandy soil benefitted from lots of spring rains preceded by winter snowmelt. The current, extended, unseasonably hot, dry, windy period isn't helping either.

hairy vetch
hairy vetch
Photo by J. Harrington

According to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, "The average number of days in a year to reach at least 90 degrees is 12.9." We've exceeded 90℉ on June 4, 5, may reach it today, and are forecast to exceed 90℉ Monday through Friday next week. That would yield 7 or 8 days of at least 90℉ before mid June. It's no wonder the "spring" yard work is taking longer to get done this year. I think we've missed a planting window for the three sisters garden we wanted to try, but after I knocked down lots of pocket gopher mounds and cut the grass, the Better Half scattered some wildflower seeds we've been accumulating onto the bare earth where the gopher mounds used to be. We'll see if anything grows this year or next.

dame's rocket
dame's rocket
Photo by J. Harrington

The dame's rocket flowers have been visited by bumblebees, hummingbirds and butterflies during the past few days. This gets us into the question of distinctions among non-native plants. The Minnesota Department of Agriculture is responsible for the Minnesota Noxious Weed List which includes: 
State Prohibited Noxious Weeds listed as either
  • Eradicate
  • Control
  • Restricted, or
  • Specially Regulated
Then there are separate county and federal lists. Dame's Rocket isn't listed on the Minnesota Noxious Weeds lists. Buckthorn is and yet the state seems to do little to control infestations in state parks or wildlife management areas. Plus, the implications and adaptations to climate breakdown have the potential to disrupt most of the efforts to stabilize plant communities through restoration efforts. It's once again time to dig out and refresh our memory on Beyond the War on Invasive Species, A Permaculture Approach to Ecosystem Restoration.


Native Trees



Neither my father nor my mother knew
the names of the trees
where I was born
what is that
I asked and my
father and mother did not
hear they did not look where I pointed
surfaces of furniture held
the attention of their fingers
and across the room they could watch
walls they had forgotten
where there were no questions
no voices and no shade

Were there trees
where they were children
where I had not been
I asked
were there trees in those places
where my father and my mother were born
and in that time did
my father and my mother see them
and when they said yes it meant
they did not remember
What were they I asked what were they
but both my father and my mother
said they never knew


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment