Monday, March 28, 2022

To “D” or not to “D,” that is the question

For some time I’ve avoided purging a number of old magazines, convinced, without much evidence to back up my conviction, that within two weeks of the purge I’d encounter an essential need for several issues recently disposed of. Today, in a different sector, I acquired some evidence supporting my theory. We live in Minnesota’s Congressional District 8. Until recently, it was a bastion of Democratic politicians.  I am not pleased with being “represented” in congress by a GOPer, but recently, Democrats have also displayed too many clay feet for my taste. Now, however, a recently announced candidate from Duluth, State representative Jennifer Schultz, has rekindled some of my enthusiasm. She’s announced she’s running for Congress against the incumbent.

MN Senate District 28
MN Senate District 28

This is happening at the same time that the local Democratic-Farmer-Labor organization (MN SD 28), at the southern end of MNCD8, is looking for “Directors” to help get Democrats elected. I have mixed feelings about volunteering. On the one hand, I can’t stand GOPers. On the other, the major reason to support Democrats is because they’re not GOPers. I’ve been annoyed ever since Bill Clinton sold US a bill of goods on NAFTA and side agreements to protect the environment. I’d be a committed Democrat if the party were more liberal than neoliberal. I did make a contribution to the party last year, largely because the alternative is so unappealing.

I honestly don’t know what I’ll end up doing, although I’m leaning toward answering the questions on the sign up form honestly and seeing if that disqualifies me. I also need to think about the likelihood of politics interfering with my fishing time over the summer and autumn. Cross your fingers for me and the rest of CD8 please. Thank you!


Democracy Poem #1


Tell them that I stood
in line
and I waited
and I waited
like everybody
else

But I never got
called
And I keep that scrap
of paper
in my pocket

just in case


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment