Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Watch for buds bursting and ice outing #phenology

 On the return from a morning trip to Minneapolis, I saw a pair of swans headed to Lino Lakes marshes. The Better Half reports hearing/seeing geese and swans in the air around the Daughter Person / Son-In-Law’s house. I think some of the local trees are developing fuzziness on the branches but, since my trip was to pick up new glasses,  I may be misjudging that. Bud burst soon!

some years, like 2014, spring arrives earlier
some years, like 2014, spring arrives earlier
Photo by J. Harrington

Sunrise River pools still covered by snow on ice. A few grayish spots are beginning to develop in the ice cover. We’ll keep looking for open water.

The good news is no burning permit is required today. Unfortunately, our hose is full of ice so torching the brush pile would mean we’d have no convenient way to douse the embers. It’s our own fault for not having a heated garage in which to store the hose, right?

While walking the dogs today we heard the “spring song” of a bird [bluejay maybe?] that sounded very much like a rusty spring. So, it appears we’ve entered phenology season again. I just can’t get my head or heart into winter phenology here in the North Country.


Spring (Again) 


The birds were louder this morning,
raucous, oblivious, tweeting their teensy bird-brains out.
It scared me, until I remembered it’s Spring.
How do they know it? A stupid question.
Thank you, birdies. I had forgotten how promise feels.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment