Friday, August 26, 2022

Summer has gone to the dogs

We enjoyed a delightful trip this morning as we collected our Community Supported Agriculture [CSA] share. Many fields we drove past glistened with dew-covered grasses. Sandhill cranes were feeding in many farm fields. On our way to deliver the Daughter Person’s share of the share, and again as we headed home, we saw seven whitetail deer in various and sundry locations. First was a nice buck in velvet following what we think was a doe. (We didn’t get a clear look at “her” head.) Then, half a mile or so down the road, there were two deer checking out gardens at the distant end of a long driveway. Another mile or so and a large doe was browsing just off the gravel road. Finally, between the Daughter Person’s and our house we saw a doe and a “wait for me, mom” fawn crossing a different gravel road. This may have set a sightings record for us.

According to our CSA box, local sweet corn has finally come into season. Here’s what was in this week’s box:

  • CANTALOUPE
  • CUCUMBERS
  • GREEN PEPPERS
  • SWEET CORN
  • TOMATOES and
  • ZUCCHINI

 

Since today is National Dog Day, we would be remiss if we didn’t acknowledge our two four-legged current housemates, each helping to rescue us from dogless doldrums. There’s SiSi (the blond) and Harry (the beagle). They said to say “Hi!!”  [Since there are two of them, of different genders, we’ve taken a minor liberty with today’s poem.]

SiSi (the blond) & Harry (the beagle)
SiSi (the blond) & Harry (the beagle)
Photo by J. Harrington

 

S/He's Just My Dog

S/He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. S/He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. S/He has told me a thousand times over that I am her/his reason for being; by the way s/he rests against my leg; by the way s/he thumps her/his tail at my smallest smile; by the way s/he shows her/his hurt when I leave without taking her/him (I think it makes her/him sick with worry when s/he is not along to care for me). When I am wrong, s/he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, s/he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, s/he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, s/he ignores it. When I succeed, s/he brags. Without her/him, I am only another man. With her/him, I am all-powerful. S/He is loyalty itself. S/He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With her/him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. S/He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. Her/His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. Her/His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. S/He has promised to wait for me… whenever… wherever, in case I need her/him. And I expect I will – as I always have. S/He is just my dog.

by Gene Hill



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment