Monday, August 15, 2022

What’s in a life?

Today is the last day of our 36th year of marriage, Tomorrow, we celebrate our 37th anniversary. I suspect it will be a quiet celebration. We’ll have dinner with the Daughter Person, Son-In-Law and Granddaughter and be grateful for the good time and wonderful company.

Irish soda bread
Irish soda bread
Photo by J. Harrington

Since I lost track of a package of Irish soda bread last March, I’ll bake a loaf for breakfast tomorrow, with hopes that it will continue to bring us the “luck o’ the Irish.” What else we may do during the day will depend, in large part, on the weather, especially temperatures and precipitation.

It’s not often I acknowledge that anything turns out better than I expected. Much of that has to do with my refusal to lower my expectations despite an obvious, and continuing, inability to modify the world to suit my taste. I hereby acknowledge that the past 36 years have been better than expected and much of that is despite my meddling. Fortunately, every once in awhile I have a moment of lucidity that enables me to realize just how lucky I am. Today’s posting is evidence of one such moment. May each and everyone of you reading this be as fortunate.


Anniversary


Didn’t I stand there once,
white-knuckled, gripping the just-lit taper,
swearing I’d never go back?
And hadn’t you kissed the rain from my mouth?
And weren’t we gentle and awed and afraid,
knowing we’d stepped from the room of desire
into the further room of love?
And wasn’t it sacred, the sweetness
we licked from each other’s hands?
And were we not lovely, then, were we not
as lovely as thunder, and damp grass, and flame?


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment