Thursday, November 3, 2022

Starter, dough, half-baked, done

A cloudy, dreary day offers a wonderful opportunity to distract myself from gloom and doom by messing with the resurrected sourdough starter and mixing some dough for baking bread tomorrow. Some time back I read something about naming one’s starter, sort of like it's a pet. I’m seriously considering naming mine Lazarus, considering the number of times it’s been brought back from the (near) dead.

home-made starter looking happy
home-made starter looking happy
Photo by J. Harrington

The Daughter Person has challenged me to craft gnome bread for this Christmas season. I’m currently contemplating the pros and cons of acquiring an oval dutch oven or an oval baking cloche or simply replacing a baking stone that got broken some months back. The cloche I really like is out of the question because it weighs 22 pounds and that’s gross overkill for my needs and abilities. Anyhow, the challenge now has me engaged, which is much better for me than sitting, sulking, and stewing over the state of the world. Instead, I’m reading and learning from Sourdough by Science. I much  prefer to have at least a slight understanding of why I should do certain things a certain way and that’s a good part of what I’m gaining. Also, it turns out that although I’ve been doing many of the basic steps in the correct sequence and using correct procedures, I’m now learning what those steps are actually called. That’s progress!

As I think back to when I first began baking bread, I kept trying things until I found a pattern that worked and produced bread that I liked the taste of. Then I became hesitant to stray too far from that pattern, which eventually left me in a somewhat boring rut. I’m going to work hard at avoiding a repetition of that pattern and, it seems, a good way to do so it to get a better handle on the basics so I can learn from whatever mistakes I make, rather than being limited to saying “I have no idea what went wrong!” I bet such an approach could improve our lives, if only we could identify what the basics of a happy life are.


Inside


How something is made flesh
no one can say. The buffalo soup
becomes a woman
who sings every day to her horses
or summons another to her private body
saying come, touch, this is how
it begins, the path of a newly born
who, salvaged from other lives and worlds,
will grow to become a woman, a man,
with a heart that never rests,
and the gathered berries,
the wild grapes
enter the body,
human wine
which can love,
where nothing created is wasted;
the swallowed grain
takes you through the dreams
of another night,
the deer meat becomes hands
strong enough to work.
 
But I love most
the white-haired creature
eating green leaves;
the sun shines there
swallowed, showing in her face
taking in all the light,
 
and in the end
when the shadow from the ground
enters the body and remains,
in the end, you might say,
This is myself
still unknown, still a mystery.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment