Friday, June 16, 2023

Will the MPD / DOJ Consent Decree be POSTed?

I haven't read the 92(?) page US Department of Justice report nor much of the coverage of this morning’s announcement of its findings: Justice Department finds pattern of discriminatory policing in Minneapolis. I’m also skeptical about the amount of time estimated to be necessary to negotiate a consent decree (Justice delayed is justice denied?). On the other hand, it could be interesting to see if anyone demands an early approval that builds on recent changes in Minnesota’s police licensing standards.

The POST Board adopted new rules effective May 30, 2023 for law enforcement officers related to background investigations, psychological screening, minimum selection standards and new standards of conduct. 

The new standards of conduct have provisions that appear to be particularly relevant, including:

Prohibited Conduct related to law enforcement authority: Use of Force:

• Engage in unreasonable or excessive use of force; unauthorized use of force, or unauthorized use of deadly force;

• Fail to intercede when observing another officer using force beyond that which is objectively reasonable (Minn. Stat. 626.8475);

• Fail to report any use of force violations by another employee or officer in writing within 24 hours to the chief law enforcement officer (Minn. Stat. 626.8475);

I am not a lawyer nor a police officer nor a politician, etc., but it seems to me it would simplify reforms and enhance accountability if an initial Consent Decree incorporated all the new standards as court enforceable provisions. Does that make sense to you?


Perspective


When I see the two cops laughing 
after one of them gets shot
because this is TV and one says
while putting pressure on the wound,
Haha, you're going to be fine,
and the other says, I know, haha!
as the ambulance arrives—
I know the men are white.
I think of a clip from the hours 
of amateur footage I've seen
when another man at an intersection
gets shot, falls, and bleeds from a hole
the viewer knows exists only by the way 
the dark red pools by the standing cop's feet,
gun now holstered, who
yells the audience back to the sidewalk.
I know which one is dying 
while black and which one stands by white. 
I think this morning about the student 
in my class who wrote a free write line 
on the video I played
that showed a man pouring water
on his own chest, "...the homoerotic 
scene against a white sky" with no other men 
present. Who gets to see and who follows
what script? I ask my students. 
Whose lines are these and by what hand
are they written?


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment