Friday, June 2, 2023

Making a choice

This morning I realized that the only way I can tell if I like a poem is to read it. That may seem obvious to some but I kept thinking that if I like several poems by the same poet, I would / should like all the poems by that poet. It’s not true and reading all the reviews and analyses won’t actually tell me if I’ll like the poem. In the old days, I think they covered this with the saying “the proof is in the pudding!”

I’ve seen lots of folks stating their positions about why they did, or did not, vote for the debt ceiling legislation. The fact of the matter is there were, are, essentially three options: Yes, No, Abstain/Absent. For the most part in our politics, the options are Democrat, Republican, Independent. Yes, I know there are minority parties. I also know that once upon a time, Republicans were Democrats and vice versa, or something like that. We’re still looking at not much more than a binary choice, much to the frustration of some of us.

Are you ready to vote?
Are you ready to vote?
Photo by J. Harrington

We’re also looking at a political system in which many (most?) of us believe the myth that we’re voting for folks most like us to represent US. It ain’t necessarily so. A decade or so ago, there was an issue I felt particularly passionate about. I did my homework, went to our local party caucus, presented the motion, answered questions and got it passed. So did lots of other folks throughout the state. Somehow, the party governing body saw fit to deny endorsement to a position that was supported by a preponderance of their grassroots members. I’ve not forgiven the party bosses for that. Neither have I changed parties, but I’m much more of an Independent these days. No more “my party, right or wrong!” In  fact, I’m currently  represented by politicians I wouldn’t let pet my dog, let alone kiss my baby, if I had one.

Some days I wish there were more of a parliamentary system in this country. Then I look at a number of countries using the parliamentary system and have second thoughts. I also remember the difficulties I had in my (much) younger days when faced with the prospect of choosing one, or at most two, flavor(s) from Howard Johnson’s twenty-six choices.

In an increasingly complex world, finding ways to compromise so that at least a majority can support a common cause is becoming more challenging by the nanosecond. I don’t like the debt ceiling legislation, but it is a lessor evil, I think, than the alternative of default on our debt payments. I don’t know where and how the 14th Amendment would have played out. Early in our relationship, the Better Half told me that sometimes the best option is the “least worst alternative.” I told her she might be right, but that was a hell of a solution. The proof of her wisdom is, though, that despite my rough corners, she still puts up with me as her least worst alternative. No matter how much I love her, I’m not sure I’m ready to wish she could do better.


Choices


I go to the mountain side
of the house to cut saplings,
and clear a view to snow
on the mountain. But when I look up,
saw in hand, I see a nest clutched in
the uppermost branches.
I don’t cut that one.
I don’t cut the others either.
Suddenly, in every tree,   
an unseen nest
where a mountain   
would be.
                        


                              for Drago Štambuk


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment