Tuesday, June 27, 2023

The more things change ...

There’s not much new and exciting to report on today. Deer flies are becoming more numerous. We’ve responded by installing a new blue ball covered with sticky goo. The flies are attracted to the color and get caught in the sticky stuff. Last summer we end up with a blue ball encrusted with the blackish bodies of dead flies. Our dogs and our skins appreciated the results and we didn’t spray pesticides hell, west, and gone around the place. There’s already a couple of dozen flies stuck on the ball after a few hours.

would you expect this from a caterpillar?
would you expect this from a caterpillar?
Photo by J. Harrington

Earlier this year members of the younger generations of the family got together and gave me a new iPhone for my birthday. Since I had been using an iPhone 6, you have an idea of how much new technology I’m trying to adjust to. This morning I got my new hearing aids. My old ones had served for about a decade. The technology for hearing aids has gotten quite a bit more complicated over the past ten years. I’ve read that I can use my new iPhone to adjust my new hearing aids, once I find and learn how to download a couple of apps, and then learn how to use those apps. I’m wondering why I didn’t plan better and schedule these changes for the winter, when I’d be fine sitting in the house playing with new toys. Each of our offspring were born in December. I could have borrowed one of their birthdays last year.

Did I mention I’m (over)due for a new laptop computer. This is getting typed on a five or six year old MacBook Pro with a sticky keyboard and slightly erratic trackpad. I’m not sure if I should try to get the phone and hearing aids under control first or just immerse myself in updates and let the bytes fall where they may. I’ll decide as soon as I get used to how much noisier the world is this afternoon than it was this morning. At least we’re not living in Russia, or China, or Texas, where the technology is failing while the  heat, literal and figurative, increases. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go study a manual or two, or three, or....


Meditation 29

How mutable is every thing that here
Below we do enjoy? with how much fear
And trouble are those gilded Vanities
Attended, that so captivate our eyes?
   Oh, who would trust this World, or prize what's in it,
   That gives, and takes, and changes in a minute?



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment