Thursday, January 18, 2024

Is Minnesota too (small d) democratic?

I’ll spare you most of my sputtering and ranting about this. Perhaps you’re already aware of the plethora of opportunities to exercise our rights as a citizen and voter. Let me note that some of US might be wondering if this is too much of a good thing.

Full discllosure: my nose is still bent out of shape from several elections ago when I, and many others, made successful pitches at local caucuses in support of a position that the party’s state central committee(?) decided to ignore.

Your Voice Your Vote   Use It
Your Voice Your Vote   Use It
Photo by J. Harrington

It seems to me to be far from clear why one might wish to participate in a caucus and vote in a primary. I suppose there are hard core political junkies who enjoy that kind of thing. I’m already annoyed by repeated requests for contributions piling up in my email and snail mail boxes. But then I remind myself that “No good deed shall go unpunished.”

Let me make clear that I’d be less grumbly if the process(es) were better structured so that there might be a reasonable relationship between effort input and results. Unfortunately, given the amount of mis- and disinformation being spread around, the lack of integrity by most representatives and representations of one major party, and my lack of patience in dealing with ill-informed, stubborn individuals, I plan on voting but not much more. It seems like a poor investment of time. Does that leave the field to “true believers” and charlatans? Perhaps. but contemporary politics seems to display too much resemblance to the old saying about “good money drives out bad.”


Good Bones

Life is short, though I keep this from my children.
Life is short, and I’ve shortened mine
in a thousand delicious, ill-advised ways,
a thousand deliciously ill-advised ways
I’ll keep from my children. The world is at least
fifty percent terrible, and that’s a conservative
estimate, though I keep this from my children.
For every bird there is a stone thrown at a bird.
For every loved child, a child broken, bagged,
sunk in a lake. Life is short and the world
is at least half terrible, and for every kind
stranger, there is one who would break you,
though I keep this from my children. I am trying
to sell them the world. Any decent realtor,
walking you through a real shithole, chirps on
about good bones: This place could be beautiful,
right? You could make this place beautiful.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment