Thursday, January 11, 2024

Fly fishing for whirled peas?

I’ve grumped enough about seemingly endless cloudy skies that it would be irresponsible of me to fail to mention today’s blue skies and sunshine, being brought to US by an impending bitter cold Arctic blast and snow storm starting tomorrow. At least for some of US, winter in the North Country is like being asked which eye we want the sharp stick in. It would be logical to ask why, if I’m so disgruntled, I don’t go back where I came from. Were I asked, I’d reply with a different question: Have you seen what the East Coast weather has been like the last few years? We’ve created a world in which almost everyone only gets to jump from a frying pan into a fire. Much the same also applies to politics.

could one of these lure you into fly fishing?
could any of these lure you into fly fishing?
Photo by J. Harrington

Is it possible that hyperindividualism, plus neoliberal, global capitalism feeding consumer-driven economies may not be the healthiest combination for longevity of the species? I’m asking for a friend and their prospective descendants. One of the issues with all the choices available to many of US is that in lots of instances, we may be looking at distinctions without a difference, as my lawyer friends would say. Personally, I don’t feel like spending five or six minutes looking through toothpastes to find the version I want. Most days I find software updates provide counterproductive changes, especially since there’s rarely, if ever, a chance to turn them off. If you think I’m being too harsh, take a look at what AI (artificial intelligence) is doing to many sectors of the economies and to intellectual property.

Of course, the fact that I have more books than I can read, and more coffee than I can drink, and more clothes than I can wear, even on a really cold day, is a different set of issues, right? (cf. hyperindividualism) Once upon a time, our politics were supposed to lead to compromise or consensus. Remember something about “the greatest good for the greatest number?” Remember when cities and hinterlands recognized their interdependence? Remember what civility and tolerance were like? One of the things I like about fly fishing is that organizations and anglers who participate in it continue to acknowledge ethics and codes of conduct. Maybe we need to convince more and more folks to become fly fishers as a way to bring back some essential behaviors. What do you think?


My Heart Leaps Up


My heart leaps up when I behold 
   A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began; 
So is it now I am a man; 
So be it when I shall grow old, 
   Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man;
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment