Sunday, April 14, 2024

A day full of promise

Yesterday we enjoyed our annual Spring sighting of a barred owl perched in (on?) a tree on the north side of the house. It’s mildly reassuring to experience some repeating patterns these days. On the other hand, yesterday afternoon a gray squirrel appeared to be trying to chase all the birds out of the yard so s/he would be the only one to munch on all the droppings from the bird feeder. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anything quite like that before.

Male goldfinches are showing their chrome yellow mating colors although mating season won’t be for several months. I suppose that’s what happens if molt occurs but once a year. I wish our dog, SiSi, would only shed once a year. It’s beyond my comprehension why she isn’t bald, what with all the blond hairs all around the house, no matter how often we vacuum. It’s worse in Spring but never seems to stop.

photo of bergamot seed trays in the sun
bergamot seed trays in the sun
Photo by J. Harrington

Today is the tenth day after planting the bergamot seeds. The germination period is reported to be ten to fourteen days. My anticipation levels are climbing although the temperature where the planting trays are kept is at the lower end of a preferred range, so we’ll have to just wait and see. I may consider putting a heating pad under one of the trays come midweek if nothing is rising through the planting medium but have doubts that it would do much because of the drainage space between the tray and the underliner. Plus, I know that water and electricity don’t mix very well and I’m occasionally sloppy when I water the trays.

I’m not sure why the flocks of dark-eyed juncos are still hanging around the back yard instead of heading north. My fingers are crossed that they’re just being dilatory and not that they know something we don’t about winter hanging on.


An April Day


On such a day as this I think,
      On such as day as this,
When earth and sky and nature’s whole
      Are clad in April’s bliss;
And balmy zephyrs gently waft
      Upon your cheek a kiss;
Sufficient is it just to live
      On such a day as this.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment