Sunday, April 21, 2024

On the eve of Earth Day

Leaves are emerging on some bushes and tree tops, really noticeable on aspens. It’s near time to watch for wild plums to bloom. A few hours ago I began reading a digitized version of a book I’ve been attracted to for some time now, Traditional Ecological Knowledge. I was pleased to note references to Leopold’s land ethic and works by other authors with whom I’m familiar mentioned in the introduction. The three sisters garden I wanted to plant last year never happened so, with luck, maybe this year will see seeds planted. The Better Half gave me a couple of packets of glass gem corn seeds at Christmas, so I’ve even more motivation this year. Where to plant is a major question and last year the persistent drought was a disincentive to starting.

photo of tree crowns at leaf out
it’s leaf out time
Photo by J. Harrington

Blogger’s software seems much better behaved today, although we can’t be sure until this is actually posted. I’m now facing a question of whether I want to and can download/backup more than a decade’s worth of daily postings. I know, it would have been better if I’d done backups all along, but who knew I’d keep at this?

Last week a purple or house finch, or one of each, showed up at the feeder. Dark-eyed juncoes were pecking away at the back yard until a day or so ago. Warmer, wetter, weather in the week upcoming should bring more indicators of spring. One we’re reasonably certain of is the first community supported agriculture share should be available Friday or Saturday. That’s up-lifting, as is the increasing number of bergamot seeds that are germinating. Isn’t it wonderful what some sunshine and water can help make happen?

Until Earth Day...


Gidiskinaadaa Mitigwaakiing/Woodland Liberty


Apii dibikong gaashkendamyaan miinawaa goshkoziyaan
When in the night I am weary and awake wondering
endigwenh waa ezhichigewag bagoji Anishinaabensag odenang,
what the wild young Anishinaabeg of the cities will do,
mitigwaakiing izhaayaan miinawaa anweshinyaan.
into the woods I go and rest.
Nimawadishaag zhingwaakwag miinawaa okikaandagoog
I visit with the white pines and the jack pines.
Nibizindaawaag zhashagiwag miinawaa ajiijaakwag.
I listen to the herons and the cranes.
Nimaatookinaag zaagaa’igan ogaawag miinawaa apakweshkwayag.
I share the lake waters with the walleye and the cattails.
Niwaabaandaanan wesiinhyag-miikanan miinawaa nakwejinaanig
I marvel at the complexity of wild paths and webs woven.
Miidash apii bidaaban niswi giosewag miinawaa
Then when the dawn hides the three hunters
niizhwaaswi nimisenhyag dibiki-giizhigong gaazhad
and seven sisters of the night sky
baabimoseyaan nikeye naawakweg zoongide’eyaan.
I walk bravely toward the noonday.
 

This poem was written in response to "The Peace of Wild Things" by Wendell Berry.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment