Friday, May 17, 2024

A rare day

It’s been a productive day. The Better Half and I acquired resident (MN) fishing licenses to go with yesterday’s acquisition of non-resident (WI) licenses. Now we need to get out and get our money’s worth by going fishing. We (I) also confirmed sightings of trilliums in bloom and Canada goose goslings along the roadside near the Carlos Avery Sunrise River pools. For reasons that aren’t clear, someone had decided to brush out the understory where the trilliums grow and wiped out many wildflowers in the process. Sigh!

photo of a trillium covered hillside
a trillium covered hillside before “cleanup"
Photo by J. Harrington

This morning I noticed a ruby-throated hummingbird checking the outside of a window where we had a feeder last year. I’ll mount and fill one over the weekend. We seem to have distinct front hummers and back hummers who are dedicated to chasing each other away from feeders. There’s also a pair of Baltimore orioles enjoying the grape jelly feeder when it’s not occupied by male rose-breasted grosbeaks.

At the risk of jinxing us, this may be the one year in 10 or 25 that Minnesota experiences actual Spring-like weather. It’s been a mild roller coaster warm-up with some rain. The first plantings of bergamot seeds failed. A weekend’s task is to replant and hope the late May weather is more conducive, due to more warmth, to successful germination and growth.


May to April


Without your showers, I breed no flowers,
    Each field a barren waste appears;
If you don't weep, my blossoms sleep,
    They take such pleasures in your tears.

As your decay made room for May,
    So I must part with all that’s mine:
My balmy breeze, my blooming trees
    To torrid suns their sweets resign!

O’er April dead, my shades I spread:
    To her I owe my dress so gay—
Of daughters three, it falls on me
    To close our triumphs on one day:

Thus, to repose, all Nature goes;
    Month after month must find its doom:
Time on the wing, May ends the Spring,
    And Summer dances on her tomb!



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment