Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Trillium time?

It’s time to watch for the blooms of trillium in roadside woodlands. Some of this year’s flowers and birds have arrived about on time, others seem to be a week to ten days or so early. If trilliums blossom a little early, we should see flowers maybe next week. I’m going to remember to watch for them starting tomorrow.

photo of Trillium grandiflorum (Large-flowered Trillium)
Trillium grandiflorum (Large-flowered Trillium)
Photo by J. Harrington

From the goose I saw walking along a road and having trouble flying, it looks as though Canada geese may be starting to molt. The goose was walking along a gravel road as my Jeep and I slowly approached from behind. First the bird tried to outrun us. Then it tried to fly but had trouble getting off the ground. Finally it flapped and glided 20 or 30 feet into an alfalfa field adjoining the road. Then we drove past.

As of this afternoon I’m feeling less unclothed. I went online and renewed / replaced our Wisconsin family fishing license(s). Tomorrow may provide for a trip to a local fly shop to get Minnesota licenses for the Better Half and I. I’m annoyed at myself that it’s so late in the season (I’m not referring to Minnesota’s recent walleye opener) and we’ve not yet wet a line. You could claim I’ve gotten old and lazy and I’d not have much of a comeback. I’d probably have to plead nolo contendere.


Gather

Some springs, apples bloom too soon.
The trees have grown here for a hundred years, and are still quick
to trust that the frost has finished. Some springs,
pink petals turn black. Those summers, the orchards are empty
and quiet. No reason for the bees to come.

Other summers, red apples beat hearty in the trees, golden apples
glow in sheer skin. Their weight breaks branches,
the ground rolls with apples, and you fall in fruit.

You could say, I have been foolish. You could say, I have been fooled.
You could say, Some years, there are apples.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment