Sunday, December 22, 2019

December thaw, solstice observations

It is not every day we get to see an osprey and a bald eagle on different legs of the same trip. We saw the osprey perched atop a telephone pole in Crystal this morning. Don't ask what an osprey was doing near the heart of the Twin Cities metro area when almost everything is frozen over. As we neared home, returning from Crystal, we were buzzed by a bald eagle over old Highway 61 in Wyoming.

bald eagle feeding on whitetail deer
bald eagle feeding on whitetail deer
Photo by J. Harrington

I'm always delighted and impressed when given an opportunity to see either of these large raptors. Although far from sure about it, but I have the impression some eagles may be overwintering in our neck of the woods. Might that be a sign of climate change? Eagles and ospreys are both fish eaters, but eagles eat at least their share of carrion. Ospreys, not so much. According to Audubon, the osprey commonly breeds in Minnesota but should, at this time of year, be wintering on the Gulf Coast. One of the nicer aspects of living in Minnesota, as far as I'm concerned, is that seeing eagles, ospreys, wild turkeys, coyotes, and a variety of other, large, wildlife, while not common, is also not rare. Does the word infrequent seem appropriate?

celebrating Winter Solstice
celebrating Winter Solstice
Photo by J. Harrington

Last night the Better Half and I briefly enjoyed a Solstice celebratory blaze in our fire pit. I could feel my atavistic impulses bubbling to the surface. No doubt soon I'll be rereading some Jim Harrison poems, similar to this one.

Man Dog



I envied the dog lying in the yard
so I did it. But there was a pebble
under my flank so I got up and looked
for the pebble, brushed it away
and lay back down. My dog thus far
overlooked the pebble. I guess it's her thick
Lab fur. With my head downhill the blood gorged
me with ideas. Not good. Got up. Turned around. Now I
see hundreds of infinitesimal ants. I'm on an
ant home. I get up and move five feet.
The dog hasn't moved from her serene place.
Now I'm rather too near a thicket where
I saw a big black snake last week that might decide
to join me. I moved near the actual dog this time
but she got up and went under the porch. She doesn't like
it when I'm acting weird. I'm failing as a dog
when my own kind rejects me, but doing better
than when I envied birds, the creature the least
like us, therefore utterly enviable. To be sure
I cheeped a lot but didn't try to fly.
We humans can take off but are no good at landing.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment