Sunday, May 9, 2021

On Mother's Day

The pear tree is approaching full bloom. Many years this occurs just before one of the season's first thunder storms blows through and strips the petals from the flowers. This year may be different, or not. May is a month of flowers. Later this month we'll look for trillium and other woods wildflowers. Last week the marsh marigolds were still in fine shape. Wild plum bushes are blooming along a number of rural roadsides. Several farmer's fields hold lambs and calves, seeking moms or playing and pronking.


pear tree blossoms
pear tree blossoms
Photo by J. Harrington


It's now time to watch out for snakes sunning themselves along the roads. (We noticed a very large gopher snake than had been run over last week just a little north of our property.) Soon it will be time to watch for turtle crossings as they head off to lay their eggs. Keep in mind that not all turtles cross at the crossings. We don't recall ever seeing little hatchlings headed for the "mother pond."


turtle crossing sign
turtle crossing sign
Photo by J. Harrington


Speaking of mothers, both the Better Half and the Daughter Person seem to have had a good Mother's Day so far. It's the first real one for the granddaughter, daughter and mother, which makes it pretty special. My main gift is staying home this evening so I don't return the gift of a spring cold the granddaughter has shared. It's a real challenge to teach kids that "share and share alike" doesn't include colds, etc.

In honor of this year's Mother's Day, Wendell Berry's poem resonates strongly of times in my past.


To My Mother


by Wendell Berry


I was your rebellious son,
do you remember? Sometimes
I wonder if you do remember,
so complete has your forgiveness been.

So complete has your forgiveness been
I wonder sometimes if it did not
precede my wrong, and I erred,
safe found, within your love,

prepared ahead of me, the way home,
or my bed at night, so that almost
I should forgive you, who perhaps
foresaw the worst that I might do,

and forgave before I could act,
causing me to smile now, looking back,
to see how paltry was my worst,
compared to your forgiveness of it

already given. And this, then,
is the vision of that Heaven of which
we have heard, where those who love
each other have forgiven each other,

where, for that, the leaves are green,
the light a music in the air,
and all is unentangled,
and all is undismayed.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment