Wednesday, November 3, 2021

A day of delights

This morning I headed north to spend some time reading with my 1 year-old granddaughter. The sun was low in the sky so I mostly took gravel back roads to take advantage of roadside tree crown cover to block the sun. On the way, i enjoyed seeing:

  • two ruffed grouse standing near the middle of our road
  • one whitetail deer doe in darker pelage for winter
  • two pileated woodpeckers land on a telephone pole
  • one rooster pheasant strutting the edge of what was a soy bean fiekd
  • several bunches of crows
  • the usual menageries of horses, sheep, cows, cattle and goats at small farms along the way.
sandhill cranes in corn stubble
sandhill cranes in corn stubble
Photo by J. Harrington

The corn and bean fields look to be about 80% to 90% harvested. I was mildly surprised that I didn’t see any geese, cranes, deer or anyone else gleaning whatever was left in or on the harvested fields. Nevertheless, the trip’s sightings left me in a better mood than I’ve enjoyed for some time. I then compounded it by spending time with the Granddaughter. Even though it was morning and not bedtime, in honor of the time of year, we read Hush Hush, Forest.

After about 45 minutes of reading aloud, drinking coffee, naming things and playing “UP,” I headed off to do some errands, including a stop at our favorite local book store, Scout and Morgan in Cambridge. That’s where I picked up a copy of The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity by David Graeber and David Wengrow. Both the Better Half and I are looking forward to reading it.

Overall, the morning was spent engaged in activities much better for my mental and emotional health than my usual doom scrolling on social media or even being outside collecting fallen leaves.  More things to put on my list of what to be grateful for this Thanksgiving. For now, I probably can’t avoid dealing with leaves, but I can, and will, spend less time staring at a screen full of mostly not good news.

Then, in the midst of typing this posting, I looked out the  window and saw a small flock of robins at the bird bath. I have no idea what prompted the visit unless it relates to the drought and a lack of puddles. It was fascinating to watch.

May we all enjoy more days as full of treats as today has been for me!


The Delight Song of Tsoai-talee



I am a feather on the bright sky
I am the blue horse that runs in the plain
I am the fish that rolls, shining, in the water
I am the shadow that follows a child
I am the evening light, the lustre of meadows
I am an eagle playing with the wind
I am a cluster of bright beads
I am the farthest star
I am the cold of dawn
I am the roaring of the rain
I am the glitter on the crust of the snow
I am the long track of the moon in a lake
I am a flame of four colors
I am a deer standing away in the dusk
I am a field of sumac and the pomme blanche
I am an angle of geese in the winter sky
I am the hunger of a young wolf
I am the whole dream of these things

You see, I am alive, I am alive
I stand in good relation to the earth
I stand in good relation to the gods
I stand in good relation to all that is beautiful
I stand in good relation to the daughter of Tsen-tainte
You see, I am alive, I am alive


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment