Thursday, June 9, 2022

Sometimes being all wet is all right!

There are two books that I’ll be acquiring sometime this month. I discovered them after I had put together my list of requests for an upcoming birthday and for Father’s Day. Each has to do with water. Water has been a central element of my personal and professional adult life. Both books have interesting web sites. I suggest you check them out.

The River Always Wins by David Marquis       and

Water Always Wins by Erica Gies

I’m seeing more and more warnings that we are not doing nearly enough to respect and protect the environmental systems on which we depend for clean air to breathe and clean, potable water to drink and water to grow food for ourselves and raise our livestock. Other writers have noted how important (essential?) nature and outdoor recreation is for our physical and, especially, mental health.

a trout stream to wade
a trout stream to wade
Photo by J. Harrington

I recall being happier the years I managed to go clamming, fishing, boating, wading, swimming (sometimes intentionally), and duck hunting. Too many of those activities have fallen by my wayside. As far as I know, Minnesota is woefully short of clam flats. I confess I’ve just kind of drifted away from many of the other activities and intend to rectify that by returning to at least a couple of them. Boating has become a hassle with all the aquatic invasive species requirements, but wading for trout fishing is manageable. Anyhow, later this summer look for book reports on each of the titles above and think about how water problems like urban runoff’s pollution and flooding can be turned into assets with techniques such as rain gardens. It’s a variation on the saying “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” 


Water


The water understands 
Civilization well; 
It wets my foot, but prettily, 
It chills my life, but wittily, 
It is not disconcerted, 
It is not broken-hearted: 
Well used, it decketh joy, 
Adorneth, doubleth joy: 
Ill used, it will destroy, 
In perfect time and measure 
With a face of golden pleasure 
Elegantly destroy.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment