Saturday, July 9, 2022

Feeding body and soul

I have a loaf of sourdough in the oven. The dough was much tackier (sticky) than I anticipated. Once I had shaped the boule and put it in the ‘fridge to proof, I went online to see what I might learn about why my dough was sticky and what I might do about it. I ended up at a web site I haven’t visited for months. If you’re interested in baking artisan bread, I suggest you spend some time visiting The Fresh Loaf, A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts. Another site I find helpful and interesting is Emilie Raffa’s The Clever Carrot, Sourdough tips, videos & recipes. Now that we’ve taken care of feeding the body....

early Spring, wood ducks
early Spring, wood ducks
Photo by J. Harrington

We are lucky to live someplace that varies from pretty to beautiful to stunning. We’re in the Minnesota watershed of the wild and scenic St. Croix River. Several years ago, Craig Blacklock published a book of his photographs of the St. Croix and Namekagon. The photo gallery from the book is now online for all to see. Although not every part of our neighborhood is as gorgeous as the pictures, it’s helpful to be reminded from time to time that we should be more attentive to our surroundings. We might be missing much of the beauty that surrounds us.


The peace of wild things

by Wendell Berry

When despair grows in me
and I wake in the middle of the Night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the Peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting for their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment