Monday, December 5, 2022

Christmas time is family time

Tomorrow is the Daughter Person’s birthday. That means that almost three and a half decades ago the Better Half was laboring to produce and I was doing whatever I could to provide moral, and some physical, support. Our son, who is two years older than his sister, was born on Christmas day. I cannot conceive or wish for better Christmas presents than those delivered by my Better Half back in those days.

For many years now, I’ve given the Daughter Person an angel ornament for the Christmas tree. Now that she has her own home and tree, the tradition continues.

an angel ornament birthday present
an angel ornament birthday present
Photo by J. Harrington

Every time I talk to either one of “the kids” I realize just how proud of them I am. They have each done an incredible job of making the world a better place for those who know them. I’ve come to realize that it’s one thing to love your family, but it’s something entirely more to actually like your family members. I’m pleased to tell the world I both love and like all the members of “my” family.

All the years until now, I’ve been concerned about each of “the kids” getting shortchanged by having a birthday in the midst of the Christmas season. It’s only recently that I’ve begun to look at it from the other side, seeing what wonderful, delightful, satisfying and rewarding Christmas presents I get to celebrate at Christmas time each year.

My Christmas wish for each of you is that you enjoy your family this season as much as I expect to enjoy mine. I’ve also dealt with family members or occasions that were less than ideal, shall we say, so I know it’s not always peaches and cream at this time of year getting together with family. In the spirit of winter in the North Country, perhaps it’s best to make the most of it.


At Christmas

By Edgar Guest


A man is at his finest
     towards the finish of the year;
He is almost what he should be
     when the Christmas season is here;
Then he's thinking more of others
     than he's thought the months before,
And the laughter of his children
     is a joy worth toiling for.
He is less a selfish creature than
     at any other time;
When the Christmas spirit rules him
     he comes close to the sublime.

When it's Christmas man is bigger
     and is better in his part;
He is keener for the service
     that is prompted by the heart.
All the petty thoughts and narrow
     seem to vanish for awhile
And the true reward he's seeking
     is the glory of a smile.
Then for others he is toiling and
     somehow it seems to me
That at Christmas he is almost
     what God wanted him to be.

If I had to paint a picture of a man
     I think I'd wait
Till he'd fought his selfish battles
     and had put aside his hate.
I'd not catch him at his labors
     when his thoughts are all of pelf,
On the long days and the dreary
     when he's striving for himself.
I'd not take him when he's sneering,
     when he's scornful or depressed,
But I'd look for him at Christmas
     when he's shining at his best.

Man is ever in a struggle
     and he's oft misunderstood;
There are days the worst that's in him
     is the master of the good,
But at Christmas kindness rules him
     and he puts himself aside
And his petty hates are vanquished
     and his heart is opened wide.
Oh, I don't know how to say it,
     but somehow it seems to me
That at Christmas man is almost
     what God sent him here to be. 


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment