Sunday, December 4, 2022

It’s SAA season (Seasonally Adjusted Attitude)

We’re making progress toward Christmas and the December birthdays of two adult children. The Better Half has been doing interior decorations this afternoon while I was off doing errands at a couple of big box stores. We think we’ll pick out and cut down our tree tomorrow and I’m learning that not having everything done on December 1, so we can “relax and enjoy the season,” is okay.

tomorrow, like this
tomorrow, like this
Photo by J. Harrington

The morning papers were full of stories about lots and lots of cases of flu and COVID and RSV but I think I was the only one wearing a mask this afternoon. Sigh! I know how inconvenient it is to have glasses steam up in cold weather, but I also know I want every bit of protection I can get from whatever’s out there. I also know that coping with a COVID pandemic for going on three years is a cumulative pain.

This is a time of year when I try (Yoda: Do or do not! There is no try!) to not let the madness get under my skin too much. Practicing an attitude of live and let live seems rare these days. In fact, I’ve almost given up on anything like that, but it is slowly sinking in that I don’t accomplish anything worthwhile by getting upset and ranting. I need to pay more attention to how the dogs handle not getting what they want. Most of the time they turn, not the other cheek, but they refocus their attention on something else they might be able to get. No treats? Maybe we can get some lovin’ or a drink of water and try again for a treat later. I wonder if Santa can deliver new attitude modules for Christmas. If not, I have no doubt I’ll have lots of chances to practice shifting my focus over the new few weeks and most of next year.


[little tree]


little tree 
little silent Christmas tree 
you are so little 
you are more like a flower 

who found you in the green forest 
and were you very sorry to come away? 
see          i will comfort you 
because you smell so sweetly 

i will kiss your cool bark 
and hug you safe and tight 
just as your mother would, 
only don't be afraid 

look          the spangles 
that sleep all the year in a dark box 
dreaming of being taken out and allowed to shine, 
the balls the chains red and gold the fluffy threads, 

put up your little arms 
and i'll give them all to you to hold 
every finger shall have its ring 
and there won't be a single place dark or unhappy 

then when you're quite dressed 
you'll stand in the window for everyone to see 
and how they'll stare! 
oh but you'll be very proud 

and my little sister and i will take hands 
and looking up at our beautiful tree 
we'll dance and sing 
"Noel Noel" 


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment