Thursday, July 20, 2023

Going to the dogs

Using a “best guesstimate” approach and the data from the CoCoRaHS web site, we got about .2 inches (two tenths of an inch) of rain late yesterday. Close to but better than nothing. The drought has deepened in much of the state, although we continue to experience lots of cloud cover, which makes days more dreary but helps keep temperatures down, or has so far. For next week’s forecast we get into the mid-nineties. Sigh!

Harry the Beagle warming my chair
Harry the Beagle warming my chair
Photo by J. Harrington

We’re pleased to report that Mr. Harry the Beagle’s sprained tail is much improved. Harry is the Better Half’s dog and she notes that she’s happy to see he has his wag back. SiSi, my blonde lab cross-breed, hopes that we get more rain but without the thunder and lightning, thank-you-very-much! If you’ve considered getting a dog, especially a rescue, and have some reservations, let me assure you they’re more than worth any inconvenience, and there probably will be some. If that’s not enough to motivate you, check out these Gene Hill quotes on dogs. Mr. Hill is one of my all time favorite out-door writers, but don’t just take my word for it, see what Sporting Classics has to say about him.

I need to make some major adjustments and spend more time with our dogs and my toys and less time on my duff in the chair pictured above with Harry seated in it. I may need to pull a Tom Sawyer on myself to accomplish that, like the way he got the fence whitewashed. I fear that, in the process of getting older, I’ve also become staider. I need to create a way to undo that or the MAGAt Republicans will win. I’ve decided that one of their primary  objectives is to make the rest of US as miserable as they are. If we can stay, or get, happy, we win and they lose. Playing with dogs, fly rods, shotguns and spending more time in the outdoors is one way I think I can destaidify myself. Check back from time to time to see how it’s going.


Happy as a Dog’s Tail


Happy as something unimportant
and free as a thing unimportant.
As something no one prizes
and which does not prize itself.
As something mocked by all
and which mocks at their mockery.
As laughter without serious reason.
As a yell able to outyell itself.
Happy as no matter what,
as any no matter what.

Happy
as a dog’s tail.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment