Wednesday, July 26, 2023

No explanation

We need the rain, but thunder and lightning at about 2 am made SiSi, my dog, anxious, so she decided to awaken me to provide reassurance. Naturally, since I couldn’t make the noises and flashing lights stop, I also couldn’t provide enough reassurance for her to go back to sleep. You can probably see where this is going. At SiSi’s urging, we got up about 3-ish, collected Harry the Beagle, got the dogs fed and walked, then sat around waiting for things to settle down. Fortunately, at the time we went for our early constitutional, it wasn’t pouring, it was only drizzling. When we got back in the house, Harry took a nap, I got a cup of coffee, and SiSi cowered next to my chair. I have no idea why some dogs are really sensitive to thunderstorms and others could care less.

As I mentioned, we need the rain. If we could have got rain without thunderstorms, all of us could have had a decent night’s sleep. If SiSi were as indifferent to thunder and lightning as Harry appears to be, we all could have gotten a decent night’s sleep. As it turned out, we didn’t get either enough sleep or enough rain. I wonder what will happen to our weather when the Gulf Stream stops because we didn’t do enough, fast enough, to curb climate weirding. Why aren’t more humans sensitive to existential threats? Life these days reminds me too much of the old joke about the farmer who won the lottery. When asked what he planned to do with all that money, the farmer allowed as how he’d probably just keep farming ’til the money ran out. Will we just keep on keeping on until we run out of time?

is a mother ship behind these clouds?
is a mother ship behind these clouds?
Photo by J. Harrington

Is it possible that our lack of sense is attributable to alien rays? I ask because of the report that:

The US government conducted a “multi-decade” program which collected, and attempted to reverse-engineer, crashed UFOs, a former American intelligence official told a remarkable congressional hearing on Wednesday.

Could those same aliens be the ones who “stole” the 2020 election? Or are we getting closer to finding real evidence that aliens are hiding a mother ship behind the moon and beaming a “stupid ray” at earthlings? Thus far, that’s the only way I can begin to account for all those who have voted for tRUMP, Gaetz, MTG, Gym J., LB (without a J) and several other MAGAts. I’m still unclear how, if we let idiots vote, we avoid electing idiots. Surely Liz Cheney isn’t expecting our political parties to do a better job of vetting who they nominate as candidates. Wouldn’t that be like expecting the Three Stooges to perform Shakespeare or Beckett? And if we’re not being bombarded with alien distortions, why did I write today’s posting?


A Partial History Of My Stupidity


Traffic was heavy coming off the bridge,
and I took the road to the right, the wrong one,
and got stuck in the car for hours.

Most nights I rushed out into the evening
without paying attention to the trees,
whose names I didn't know,
or the birds, which flew heedlessly on.

I couldn't relinquish my desires
or accept them, and so I strolled along
like a tiger that wanted to spring
but was still afraid of the wildness within.

The iron bars seemed invisible to others,
but I carried a cage around inside me.

I cared too much what other people thought
and made remarks I shouldn't have made.
I was silent when I should have spoken.

Forgive me, philosophers,
I read the Stoics but never understood them.

I felt that I was living the wrong life,
spiritually speaking,
while halfway around the world
thousands of people were being slaughtered,
some of them by my countrymen.

So I walked on—distracted, lost in thought—
and forgot to attend to those who suffered
far away, nearby.

Forgive me, faith, for never having any.

I did not believe in God,
who eluded me.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment