Thursday, July 27, 2023

Hot enough to ...

Yes, I’m in one of those moods again. It just occurred to me that there’s at least one benefit to the god-awful heat spells and smoke advisories we’ve been enduring. Come next January and February I won’t be looking forward to next summer. Climate weirding has taken the pressure off of wishing my seasons away Even if I could find someplace that’s October (my favorite month) year round, I’d probably find that monotonous after a few years.

remember looking forward to Summer?
remember looking forward to Summer?
Photo by J. Harrington

Tomorrow I have another invitation to go fishing again with the Son-In-Law and Daughter Person. After yesterday and today’s early morning “warmth” and humidity, I’m leaning heavily toward staying in my air conditioned abode. That’s no doubt a sign I have gotten (past pluperfect) old. It also indicates I may have avoided, at least in part, the problem of “We get too soon old and too late schmart!!” I mean even our local outdoor writer, Dennis Anderson, is taking note of the heat: Minnesota can get too hot for proper fishing — and we could be there now. If we get lucky, the thunderstorms in tonight’s forecast won’t be enough to trouble SiSi, my dog, who will then not trouble me.

I haven’t yet gotten around to setting up a comparison of our Community Supported Agriculture [CSA] weekly shares between last year and this, but I do have this week’s box contents:

  • SUNFLOWER BABY GREENS
  • BROCCOLI
  • SUGAR BABY WATERMELON
  • CUCUMBERs
  • PIRAT LETTUCE
  • SUMMER SQUASH
  • SWEET BANANA PEPPER
  • GREEN MACHINE ZUKE, and
  • HAKUREI TURNIPS

Have you noticed the list is getting longer? Last night the Better Half did something creative with summer squash and some kind of cheese topping / sauce. If I hadn't been raised in New England eating mostly boiled veggies, I might have developed more appreciation for the flora as well as the fauna on my dinner plate. Better late than ...


Summer Heat

by Eugene Field


Nay, why discuss this summer heat,
Of which vain people tell?
Oh, sinner, rather were it meet
To fix thy thoughts on hell!
The punishment ordained for you
In that infernal spot
Is het by Satan's impish crew
And kept forever hot.
Sumatra might be reckoned nice,
And Tophet passing cool,
And Sodom were a cake of ice
Beside that sulphur pool.
An awful stench and dismal wail
Come from the broiling souls,
Whilst Satan with his fireproof tail
Stirs up the brimstone coals.
Oh, sinner, on this end 'tis meet
That thou shouldst ponder well,
For what, oh, what, is worldly heat
Unto the heat of hell?




********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment