Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Ice in

All the small to moderate size ponds and lakes I drove past this morning are ice covered shore to shore. Green Lake had a flock of about a dozen swans resting on the ice, near a flock of Canada gees about half that size. All had their heads tucked up under their wings. (I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like it.) Even the Sunrise river pools are iced in. We’re another step closer to a landscape frozen until spring and eventual ice out. I doubt this week’s warm up will return open water, but we’ll see.

Christmas lists are getting shaped up. I’m trying to not get too annoyed with today’s email flood of Giving Tuesday requests piling in a couple of weeks after Minnesota’s Give To The Max Day. Lots of good folks doing, or trying to do, good work, need support. Most of them seem to believe that the best indication you may give again is that you already gave once. But, as famous song writers once wrote “It ain’t necessarily so.”

have a holly, jolly Christmas
have a holly, jolly Christmas
Photo by J. Harrington

Some of the amaryllis bulbs are beginning to show signs of life in emergent green shoots. Others appear to be hibernating. It’ll be fun to see if we end up with red flowers for Christmas, New Year’s or Valentines. This reminds me, it’s almost time to go on my annual, sometime fruitless, search for holly plants or bouquets. At some point along the line, I became convinced it’s not really Christmas without holly. Even without being successful, the search is usually fun and often prompts unusual expressions on the faces of staff at local florists and nurseries.

This afternoon has brought blue skies, sunshine, and somewhat moderated temperatures. I’ve managed to pick up a few stocking stuffers. The rest of the week is supposed to be closer to seasonal temperatures. Friday is December 1. Whether or not we’re ready or in the mood, Christmas is on the way!


Fire and Ice


Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment