Sunday, February 11, 2024

Mixed bag today

There’s something different about the air today. For the first time it feels like the beginning of the end of winter rather than unseasonably warm weather. The sun’s warmth could be felt through the windows of the Jeep. Parts of the Sunrise river are ice free, again. One can almost begin to believe in the possibility of an eventual green-up.

On the off chance you’re wondering, the only skin I have in today’s football game is related to Taylor Swift’s progressive politics and so I hope her boyfriend’s team wins. I lost almost all interest in Superbowls after the Minnesota Vikings lost for the fourth time, decades ago. We’ll munch some nachos and have the game on so we can talk to our son about it later. He’s a big sports fan. That’s the extent of my interest in who wins.

Carlos Avery WMA Sunrise river pools
Carlos Avery WMA Sunrise river pools
Photo by J. Harrington

Much closer to home, I need to spend time this week taking a look at a proposed update to the Carlos Avery Wildlife Management Area Master Plan. We’ve lived on the eastern boundary for more than a quarter century and I was unaware there’s an existing master plan from 1977. I have noticed that invasive species don’t appear to be well controlled on many state properties and I doubt there’s much in the 1977 plan about that.


Football


I take the snap from the center, fake to the right, fade back...
I've got protection. I've got a receiver open downfield...
What the hell is this? This isn't a football, it's a shoe, a man's
brown leather oxford. A cousin to a football maybe, the same
skin, but not the same, a thing made for the earth, not the air.
I realize that this is a world where anything is possible and I
understand, also, that one often has to make do with what one
has. I have eaten pancakes, for instance, with that clear corn
syrup on them because there was no maple syrup and they
weren't very good. Well, anyway, this is different. (My man
downfield is waving his arms.) One has certain responsibilities,
one has to make choices. This isn't right and I'm not going
to throw it.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment