Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Cast your bread upon the seasons

In celebration of Spring’s official arrival, I baked scones this morning and finished off much of what remained of the St. Patrick’s Day Irish soda bread. It was a very pleasant start to the day and the season. I wonder what would be appropriate for honoring the summer solstice, berry scones? Feel free to offer suggestions in the comments.

The buds on the maple trees in front of the house have swollen noticeably but I suspect the return of cold and snow will slow down bud burst and leaf out. A few ducks have shown up on the Sunrise River pools, but no signs of a major northbound migration yet. If we’re lucky, the snow and rain we’re supposed to get over the next week could actually mark the start of seasonal spring weather and a return to gradually warming temperatures with rain showers come April.

photo of rustic, artisan, sourdough bread
rustic, artisan, sourdough bread
Photo by J. Harrington

Soda bread baking supplanted my rustic, artisan, sourdough bread efforts for the past few weeks. Time to freshen and feed (feed and freshen?) my starter and get back to it. The loaf that came out of the oven two or three weeks ago included about a third of the total flour amount from King Arthur’s regeneratively-grown climate blend flour and two thirds+ bread flour. The regen flour brought a nice nutty flavor to the bread. Now I want to see if I can increase the sour in sourdough, although I believe I’m the only one in the family that likes it that way, I haven’t tried such in quite a while. I think I recall a section in Sourdough by Science on making dough sourer. I’ll take a look after this is posted.

I feel as though, after our non-winter, followed by a wintry start to spring, we’re kind of in a holding pattern. I accept that it could be worse, but it could also be better. That’s something to look forward to.


An Earth Song 


It's an earth song,—
And I've been waiting long for an earth song. 
It's a spring song,—
And I've been waiting long for a spring song. 
    Strong as the shoots of a new plant 
    Strong as the bursting of new buds
    Strong as the coming of the first child from its mother's womb. 
It's an earth song, 
A body song, 
A spring song, 
I have been waiting long for this spring song. 



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment