Friday, March 1, 2024

’Tis the start of the season of greening

Record or near record warmth today and over the weekend, tempered by howling, gusty winds!!: is March coming in like a lamb or a lion? In either event, I spent much of the morning fiddling with fly fishing gear, mostly cleaning lines. It felt incredibly good to be doing something other than sitting and bitching about world issues. Next week, or shortly thereafter, we’ll purchase new fishing licenses for this year. Frequent nature bathing along a trout stream should soon do wonders to improve this grumpy old man.

When listing March happenings in yesterday’s posting, we included St. Patrick’s Day but missed listing that March is Irish American Heritage Month. Shame on us. To make amends, we’ll bake an extra loaf of Irish soda bread and play our Irish music a few “extra" times and get back to our Druidry readings ASAP.

photo of fresh-baked Irish soda bread
fresh-baked Irish soda bread
Photo by J. Harrington

I’m debating with myself whether it’s worthwhile to vote in Minnesota’s primary. On the Democratic side I doubt there’s any question that our current President will win. On the other hand, if everyone thinks like me and stays home, some incompetent pol might squeak by, and we don’t want that since it’s what we can expect from the other party. I suppose, unless we get a blizzard, Tuesday’s primary will get my vote and, I hope, not my goat.



Politics

By William Butler Yeats


'In our time the destiny of man presents its meanings in political terms.'

                                                                                            THOMAS MANN.


How can I, that girl standing there,

My attention fix

On Roman or on Russian

Or on Spanish politics,

Yet here's a travelled man that knows

What he talks about,

And there's a politician

That has both read and thought,

And maybe what they say is true

Of war and war's alarms,

But O that I were young again

And held her in my arms.




********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment