Friday, June 21, 2024

It’s the stupid system, stupid

Where we live, today is the first full day of Summer. We’re expecting rain and/or thunderstorms all afternoon, which may, or may not, be part of a new normal. Flooding and road washouts are reported all around the state, but not a sign of a hurricane to be seen. It’s almost like the climate’s been broken, but I’m sure if that were the case, world leaders would all be doing everything possible to fix it. Right?

photo of a rainbow
no rainbow without some rain
Photo by J. Harrington

Don’t mind me today. With all the real issues the world is facing, I’m disheartened to have read in The Guardian that Missouri attorney general to sue New York over Trump prosecutions. I mean really? Each time I think the world can’t get much crazier, I’m proven wrong! We’ve reached the point at which I’m desperately clinging to Hanlon’s Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. What I’m unable to resolve is whether the level and types of human stupidity have increased markedly or the level of reporting of stupid acts and behaviors has increased markedly, or both. Perhaps it’s a consequence of all the microplastics and forever chemicals and whatever else our bodies are absorbing that don’t belong there.

It seems to me that being stupid is better than being evil since it doesn’t involve the perpetrator’s intentions. Also, it may be that we’re so stupid because we haven’t been around long enough to have learned any better. But that begs another very important question. Do you know what it is?


The Good God and the Evil God


The Good God and the Evil God met on the mountain top.
 
The Good God said, “Good day to you, brother.”
 
The Evil God did not answer.
 
And the Good God said, “You are in a bad humour today.”
 
“Yes,” said the Evil God, “for of late I have been often mistaken for you, called by your name, and treated as if I were you, and it ill-pleases me.”
 
And the Good God said, “But I too have been mistaken for you and called by your name.”
 
The Evil God walked away cursing the stupidity of man.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment