Saturday, January 7, 2023

It just keeps getting better from here, right?

Did you get a good look at the moon last night or this morning? The fields behind the house have been filled with moon shadows between dusk and dawn. Watching the snows slowly melt as fields return to grassy cover will decrease, but not eliminate, the magic of full-moon light casting shadows during the night.

Frisky squirrels scampering through the treetops are helping to clear some branches of their snow cover. Gray males will be chasing females for another seven weeks or so. The snow accentuates the shadow-like movements of the dark fur across the crowns, enhanced by our rare blue skies and sunlight.

pileated woodpecker at feeder
pileated woodpecker at feeder
Photo by J. Harrington

We finally managed a halfway decent picture of this winter’s pileated woodpecker. There’s no visible red cheek patch (mustache?) that we can see, so we’re presuming the bird is female. The way she magages to get at the feeding ports in the “squirrel-buster” is highly creative. If she does begin to hammer on the house, I’m guessing the Hardie fibre cement will promptly discourage the bird, but then consider the recent Republican election for Speaker of the House. One of the nicest things about pounding your head against a brick wall is that it feels really good when you stop. I have much the same reaction to these really cold temperatures.

There may be some setbacks and rough times between now and fishing opener, but the trend is headed in the right direction. I intend to focus as much as I can on finding joy and pleasure in the days ahead, even if they’re buried under a snowbank. With enough good coffee and good books, I’ll wait it out.


Thaw

 - 1873-1941


Blow through me wind
As you blow through apple blossoms...
Scatter me in shining petals over the passers-by...
Joyously I reunite... sway and gather to myself...
Sedately I walk by the dancing feet of children—
Not knowing I too dance over the cobbled spring.
O, but they laugh back at me,
(Eyes like daisies smiling wide open),
And we both look askance at the snowed-in people
Thinking me one of them.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment