Thursday, January 5, 2023

Winter's white flag

This morning I tried waving a white flag to surrender. Mother Nature couldn’t see it against the snowy background so she delivered a couple of inches more of snow. For the second consecutive day we’ve blown snow onto increasingly tall snowbanks on either side of the drive. I’m thinking I should have asked Santa for a flamethrower for Christmas, to be used only to melt frozen precipitation on the driveway and start the burn pit fires.

our roof before the latest storm
our roof before the latest storm
Photo by J. Harrington

The dogs are now napping. They’re much happier since their driveway outhouse is no longer covered in ten+ inches of snow. The short-legged beagle found it particularly challenging. I’ve explained to them several times that I can’t do much more until the end of next month, when a daily melt should begin. They just look at me with quizzical expressions that say month? next? huh? We may need psychiatric help for them (and me) if we get much more snow this winter.

It looks as though the downspouts and gutters managed to get fully iced up (or is it down?). We now have icicles forming over the front porch, a potential hazard to watch out for as they drip onto the steps. Time to add ice melt to the shopping list.

As we approach the end of the first week of a new year it’s clear that things could be worse, but at least I’m not a Republican. There’s plenty of coffee to drink and books to read. The new electrically heated gloves work well and the battery pack arrived for the electrically heated vest, plus, I bet I’ll get overheated organizing receipts and 1099s etc. for getting taxes filed. If we file early, before March 21, then that won’t spoil spring.


Dust of Snow


The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment