Monday, January 2, 2023

resources for hope and happiness

 This morning I tumbled into a wonderful resource that I want to share. The essay, Doorways to Our Childhood Selves, introduced me to the global oneness project: Stories and lessons for growing minds which, in turn, brought me to the short film Water Flows Together. The  fact that a web site like this one exists gives me more hope for the future than most anything I’ve seen in months. I suspect there may be more treasures of which I’m unaware, but now I’ll be more on the lookout for them and happy to share my discoveries here.

local waters flow together
local waters flow together
Photo by J. Harrington

In fact, I’ve another treasure I want to share, this one is a book of poems by Ted Kooser and Connie Wanek, illustrated by Richard Jones, titled Marshmallow Clouds. It seems I missed the review last March that was published in the Star Tribune.

In their new book, "Marshmallow Clouds: Two Poets at Play Among Figures of Speech," Kooser and acclaimed fellow poet Connie Wanek offer 30 poems to inspire readers ages 10 and up to relish this magic in the seemingly quotidian. Organized by the elements of Fire, Water, Air and Earth, these poems encourage the notion that, "as if it were a favorite cat or dog, playing with your imagination can keep it healthy and happy," as Kooser writes in their afterword.

Similar to an earlier collaboration, Braided Creek, between Kooser and Jim Harrison, the poems are not identified by poet. I think that helps me pay attention to what’s been written rather  than trying to second guess what the poet means.


Childhood Stories


They learned to turn off the gravity in an auditorium
and we all rose into the air,
the same room where they demonstrated
pow-wows and prestidigitation.
 
But not everyone believed it.
That was the most important lesson
I learned—that a truck driven by a dog
could roll down a hill at dusk
and roll right off a dock into a lake
and sink, and if no one believes you
then what is the point
of telling them wonderful things?
 
I walked home from the pow-wow
on an early winter night in amazement:
they let me buy the toy tomahawk!
As soon as I got home I was going
to hit my sister with it, but I didn’t know this.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment