Friday, March 3, 2023

interested in a land ethic?

We spent part of the morning watching and listening to the introduction to this year’s Leopold Week. My favorite part was Kim  Blaeser reading several of her poems, including new works. In the process, I learned that she was the Founding Director of Indigenous Nations Poets [IN-NA-PO].

the Aldo Leopold “shack"
the Aldo Leopold “shack"
Photo by J. Harrington

There are a couple of other Leopold Week presentations I really don’t want to miss and, although I don’t really need more books to read, I bet I’ll find some I can’t live without on the IN-NA-PO site. Plus, Scott Russell Sanders is one of the presenters I’m looking forward to seeing and I’ve put off for a few years reading his A Conservationist Manifesto and now seems to be the time to correct that deficiency.

That’s mostly all for today. We’re busy with some family celebratory stuff so it’s a briefer than usual posting. We’ll explore some of the underlying themes of a land, or water, ethic in future postings.


The Way We Love Something Small


The translucent claws of newborn mice

this pearl cast of color,

the barely perceptible

like a ghosted threshold of being:

here     not here.

The single breath we hold

on the thinnest verge of sight:

not there   there.

A curve nearly naked 

an arc of almost, 

a wisp of becoming

a wand—

tiny enough to change me.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment