Saturday, April 3, 2021

Reasons for gratitude

It's the kind of day we could use a lot more of: sunny, mild, very gentle breeze. On the pond north of the house, a small flock of wood ducks is resting on the west side of the  road. On the east side it looked like a single Canada goose (or, possibly, a beaver?) swimming in amongst the chunks of marsh along the stream/pond bank. These spots are Spring migration stopovers. No signs of their use during autumn in any of the years we've looked.

April: wood duck flock on small pond
April: wood duck flock on small pond
Photo by J. Harrington

Next week we'll start in on yard chores and, if the midweek rain forecast is accurate and triggers some greenup, we'll anticipate torching last autumn's brush pile. All-in-all it will feel a lot like we imagine returning to life might. At least we're sure it feels like becoming active after a winter spent close to hibernation.

Last night, as we returned from a fish fry at the Daughter Person and Son-In-Law's, we saw a pair of sandhill cranes, three whitetails bounding out of one cornfield and a herd of ten deer gleaning leftover corn in another field of stubble. All in all it was the lind of pleasant evening that makes on grateful for living in the country.


national poetry month


The Peace Of Wild Things


Wendell Berry


When despair for the world grows in me 
and I wake in the night at the least sound 
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be, 
I go and lie down where the wood drake 
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. 
I come into the peace of wild things 
who do not tax their lives with forethought 
of grief. I come into the presence of still water. 
And I feel above me the day-blind stars 
waiting for their light. For a time 
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment