Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Spring is what it is, when it is

All day it's been snowing off and on. No accumulation, but it's traumatizing the blossoms on our back yard forsythia. Since it's only April in the North Country, the snow wouldn't be noteworthy if we hadn't already set a daily high temperature record of 85℉ a little more than a week ago.


purple finch in mid-April snow
purple finch in mid-April snow, 2018
Photo by J. Harrington


Three years ago, on April 15, we got several inches accumulation in our yard. In early April 2014 we got considerably more than a few inches (see below). We just got caught off guard this year by the "irrational exuberance" of that exceedingly warm spell. Unfortunately, we're old enough that it's a challenge to remember the very worthwhile advice from our boyhood: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."


early April 2014
early April 2014
Photo by J. Harrington


Even more ancient than my childhood days is Lao Tzu's observation that “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” If I forego any expectations, and focus on attentive observations, I can't be fooled. Would that I had thought of that a lifetime ago and that I can remember it from now on.

[Sidebar: For years we've been listening to Joan Baez sing today's poem. It wasn't until today that we learned it was written by Willie Nelson. Since we've also been fans of Willie's for ages, the discovery was a delightful treat. If you want to hear as well as read it, here's links to the Joan Baez version and Willie Nelson version.]

national poetry month


"One Day At A Time"


By Willie Nelson


I live one day at a time I dream one dream at a time
Yesterday's dead and tomorrow is blind and I live one day at a time
I guess that's your surprise to see me back at home
But you know how much I miss you when I'm gone
But don't ask how long I planned to stay it never it crossed my mind
I live one day at a time
See that sparrow fly across the cloudy sky
Searching for a hatch of sunlight so am I
I wish I didn't have to follow and perhaps I want in time
But I live one day at a time
I live one day at a time I dream one dream at a time
Yesterday's dead and tomorrow is blind and I live one day at a time
And I live one day at a time


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment