Friday, January 28, 2022

(Fly) casting bread upon flowing waters?

Wednesday next is Groundhog Day. In Minnesota, unless Groundhog Day is moved to July 4, there will always be six more weeks of winter, regardless of Phil’s shadow.

Next week we start on really organizing tax papers and numbers so we can turn the shoe box over to our tax preparer later in February. Then we focus on cleaning and organizing fly-fishing gear and baking Irish soda bread in honor of the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day in March. On both fronts we have some happy news, at least happy for us.

Northern Minnesota trout stream
Northern Minnesota trout stream
Photo by J. Harrington

On the fly-fishing front, several years ago the Daughter Person and Son-In-Law gave me a tankara fly rod and line. I played with it a few times up near the BWCA, and put it aside. Recently, while reorganizing some books, I came across patagonia's book on tankara fishing and started browsing through it. Then I found where I had stashed the rod and other equipment, dug it out, and feel like I have a brand new toy to play with this fishing season coming up.

Irish soda bread
Irish soda bread
Photo by J. Harrington

On the baking side, King Arthur baking has a new and different Irish-style flour that I want to try, plus a recipe for American-style Irish bread. If I avoid looking out the window and get really bundled up for dog walking, it’s possible I’ll make it to spring thaw. My limit of below zero temperatures was exceeded a week or so ago.


Bread Upon the Waters


 - 1885-1930


So you are lost to me!
Ah you, you ear of corn straight lying,
What food is this for the darkly flying
Fowls of the Afterwards!

White bread afloat on the waters,
Cast out by the hand that scatters
Food untowards,

Will you come back when the tide turns?
After many days? My heart yearns
To know.

Will you return after many days
To say your say as a traveller says,
More marvel than woe?

Drift then, for the sightless birds
And the fish in shadow-waved herds
To approach you.

Drift then, bread cast out;
Drift, lest I fall in doubt,
And reproach you.

For you are lost to me!


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment