Monday, January 24, 2022

How I spent my morning

Thoughts while in the dentist chair this morning:

  • It’s only a week until Imbolc, the Celtic end of winter [end of Celtic winter?]

  • I need to refresh my knowledge of fishing with my tenkara rod

  • (Hope this visit goes well)

  • Valentine’s Day is only three weeks away

  • It’ll be wonderful when it’s again warm enough to sit outside and enjoy a coffee at Coffee Talk

  • (So far, so good)

  • Maybe I should drop by some local fly fishing shops before Valentine’s Day and see what’s new

  • St. Paul still hasn’t mastered snow plowing

  • (This seems to be going quicker than anticipated)

  • Tom Rosenbauer’s Fly Fishing for Trout, The Next Level makes more sense than lots of other books I’ve read on fly fishing, or is it a case of “when the pupil is ready, the master will appear?”

  • Time to clean and organize fly fishing stuff

  • (Done already? GREAT!)

fly fishing nymphs in a fly box
fly fishing nymphs in a fly box
Photo by J. Harrington

A permanent crown is on the tooth I broke a few weeks ago and a couple of small cavities got drilled and filled. Obviously, I didn’t concentrate on my breathing while meditating in the chair, but anticipatory pleasures of warmer days served the purpose. Soon it will be time to actually go fishing rather than contemplating going fishing. The interim will be spent in yet another futile effort to get organized.



Trout



I do my best 
to keep pointlessness 
at bay. But here, 
wet above my 
knees, I let it fly. 
Here, hot and cold, 
fingers thick with 
thinking, I try to 
tie the fly and look 
for the net, loosening 
the philosophical   
knot of why I came 
here today, not yet 
knowing whether 
I’ll free or fry 
the rainbows 
and browns once 
they’re mine.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment