Sunday, January 30, 2022

I thought I saw a thaw!

My sister lives in a suburb south of Boston. She let us know that they got something like two feet of snow from the Nor’easter. By Wednesday they expect temperatures in the 50’s plus some rain. That should help take care of the snow but may make for some flooding problems.

The last place I lived in Massachusetts before moving to Minnesota was on the state’s south shore, about an hour from Boston. Where I lived was within half a mile of the Atlantic Ocean. The main North-South route to Boston was about five miles inland. There was more than one storm where I left home in the rain and drove to the office in snow, or vice versa, left the snow at the highway and pulled into the driveway in the rain.

driveway conditions to be minimized
driveway conditions to be minimized
Photo by J. Harrington

My sister’s report, combined with the above freezing temperatures forecast here for tomorrow and Tuesday, have convinced me it’s time to start cleaning up this winter’s mess. Our drive isn’t paved and I’ve ignored the last few one inch snowfalls. That means it’s time to minimize how much ice we have to deal with as we move toward and through our freeze--thaw season on the way to mud season. I’m going to see if I can psyche myself out by pretending it’s not work but a cure for cabin fever lethargy. This winter I think I’ve come closer to actually hibernating than any other I can remember. Not that there’s anything wrong with hibernating, but I’ve been awake and increasingly bored as winter has worn on.


The Thaw


 - 1817-1862


I saw the civil sun drying earth’s tears —
Her tears of joy that only faster flowed,

Fain would I stretch me by the highway side,
To thaw and trickle with the melting snow,
That mingled soul and body with the tide,
I too may through the pores of nature flow.

But I alas nor tinkle can nor fume,
One jot to forward the great work of Time,
‘Tis mine to hearken while these ply the loom,
So shall my silence with their music chime.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment