Monday, January 17, 2022

Republicans aren’t the only ones suppressing voter participation

 Six years (3 elections?) ago, the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor party’s Environmental Caucus agreed to defer action on a contentious, but popular, resolution that opposed copper mining such as that envisioned by the PolyMet and Twin Metals projects. According to a 2016 article in the Star Tribune,

“It’s kicking the can down the road, but I think they’re starting to realize with this election that Democrats fighting among ourselves is not a good thing, and we need to find a better resolution to these issues than taking potshots.”

Twin Metals offices, Ely MN
Twin Metals offices, Ely MN
Photo by J. Harrington

We now have two former Democrat state senators from mining country who have declared themselves Independents and now caucus with the Republicans. Neither mining project is operating yet. PolyMet has four of its required permits embroiled in court cases and reissuance. Twin Metals is facing a potential twenty year prohibition on copper mining in the watershed in which it’s located. Meanwhile, Minnesota’s Congressional District 8 is again represented by a Republican.

Democratic Party precinct caucuses are coming up on February 1, 2022. I’m debating with myself, and discussing with the Better Half, the pros and cons of participating, even remotely, in a process that’s deeply flawed because, in 2016, “The resolution was the most popular among all resolutions passed up through local DFL organizing units to the state convention’s platform committee, indicating grass roots DFL opposition to copper-nickel mining, Kanitz said.” 

I grew up in a neighborhood that lived by the slogan (among others): “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.” Since it’s not clear who, if any, might be local DFL candidates I’d want to endorse, or if the DFL has learned that ignoring grass roots issues can be counterproductive. it may be awhile before I’ve decided if I’m again a Democrat or intend to remain an Independent.


A Short Note to My Very Critical and Well-Beloved Friends and Comrades


 - 1936-2002


First they said I was too light
Then they said I was too dark
Then they said I was too different
Then they said I was too much the same
Then they said I was too young
Then they said I was too old
Then they said I was too interracial
Then they said I was too much a nationalist
Then they said I was too silly
Then they said I was too angry
Then they said I was too idealistic
Then they said I was too confusing altogether:
Make up your mind! They said. Are you militant
or sweet? Are you vegetarian or meat? Are you straight
or are you gay?

And I said, Hey! It’s not about my mind



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment